1) Article 43 funds request, please click here to download form.
2) Effective June 1, 2021 the Town of Acton's Thursday's hours will change to 3:00pm to 7:00pm.
3) The Town of Acton currently has one opening for an Alternate Member of the Planning Board; please contact the Town Administrator for more information or if you are interested in serving.
4) The Annual Town Meeting will be held at the Acton Elementary School on Saturday, June 19 at 9:00am. Please note the Town Hall will be closed this day, as Staff must attend the meeting. Please click here to view the warrant.
5) The Town of Acton is currently accepting applications for a Full Time Firefighter/EMT (or higher). Please click here for full details.
6) Town of Acton June 8, 2021 Election Results - click here
Welcome to the Acton, Maine official website. Acton is a small town in Southern Maine situated along the New Hampshire border that offers many wonderful activities with it's miles of lakes and forests.
Acton is a town in York County, incorporated on March 6, 1830; it ceded land to Shapleigh in 1831. It was part of a much larger tract of land in purchased in 1661 by Francis Small from Chief Sunday of the Newichawannock Tribe.
Settled in 1776, the town's first mill, a grist mill, was built on the Salmon Falls River in 1779 by Joseph Parsons.
Prior to incorporation it was the western part of the plantation of Hubbardstown; in 1789 it became the eastern part of the town of Shapleigh. The town was named for Acton, England, now a part of greater London.
Silver was discovered in 1877, followed by a decade of mining and prospecting, after which the mines were abandoned.
Acton's western border is with New Hampshire and is defined by the Salmon Falls River. The town has substantial frontage on several lakes: Mousam, Wilson, Great East, and Square Pond.
The town lies northwest of Sanford on Route 109, which continues into New Hampshire.
School Dist/Dept: Acton School Department
Senate District: 34
House District: 20
Congressional District: 1
Area: 41.8 sq miles
Pop. Density: 57/sq mile
Longitude: W 70:54:57
Latitude: N 43:32:01