Minutes

SELECTMEN’S MEETING

January 3, 2017



1. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

Elise Miller made a motion to approve the agenda as presented; seconded by Ed Walsh, all in favor, motion carried.

2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF LAST MEETING

Elise Miller made a motion to approve the minutes of the December 27 meeting as written, seconded by Ed Walsh, all in favor, motion carried.


3. DEPARTMENT HEAD / COMMITTEE CHAIR UPDATES

No updates.


4. OLD BUSINESS:


A. Emergency Closure Policy: Mrs. Roux reminded the Board that in last weeks meeting they discussed the emergency closure policy and talked about adding it into the new Acton Facebook page. Mrs. Roux told the Board she had sought guidance on creating the page from other government authorities that have pages. Mrs. Roux indicated that as a result of information received she is still weighing whether it is in the best interest of the town to have a Facebook page, the pros and cons and how FOIA comes into it. Mrs. Roux is resubmitting the policy to the Board as it originally was for their signature. Additionally she indicated, that the more specific places that are in the policy the more it ties the Town down to meet all those postings. Mrs. Roux presented the policy statement noting the change in title and the addition to call extension 401, as closures are not in the main greeting. Elise Miller made a motion to accept the emergency closure policy as presented, Ed Walsh seconded. No discussion, motion carried.

B. Removal of Old Sand/Salt Shed:

The Board had a conference call on the building with CIA earlier in the day, with Sean, he gave a couple options for the Board to consider. The original bid was approximately $12,800, and the next closest bid was over $30,000. Sean indicated that one good option was to demolish the building as it sits right now, put it within the confines of the foundation for $2500 with a signed agreement that he will be the contractor to haul it off July 1. He went on to state that he would not bill until July 1 but would complete the work in the next few months. Mrs. Roux pointed out the auditors would probably frown on such an arrangement. Ed Walsh stated he would prefer the building be demolished as it sits now. Mrs. Roux pointed out the $2500 may be available in a couple of accounts for this purpose and the Board could put a separate warrant article for the hauling. Ed Walsh said an issue might arise if the town didn’t vote to haul off the debris. Ed Walsh said it was left that we would get back in touch with him. Mrs. Roux will check out options for funds and report to the Board at the next meeting. Discussion will continue next week with the full Board present.


C. 2014 Foreclosures:

Mrs. Roux said last week the number was eighteen (18), this week it is down to sixteen (16).


5. NEW BUSINESS:

A. Budget Timelines/Non Profit Letters out:

Mrs. Roux distributed copies of the letter being sent out to various non-profits and town department heads. The budget timeline requires the requests be submitted no later than Friday, February 17, 2017 to the Treasurer. Board will consider non-profit requests on Monday, April 10. In addition any proposed zoning ordinances, changes, are due no later than February 24 to Mrs. Roux. The Board of Selectmen and the Warrant and Finance Committee will meet with department heads to discuss the budgets and the warrant articles on Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 9:00a.m. to noon before making final decisions.


B. Update Maps/Websites:

Mrs. Roux said all year the staff collects data that is inputted into a database that eventually is sent to Cardiographics, the company that does the town maps. She pointed out the updated maps were just received, and included in the maps online, the town website, and those hanging in the hallway.


C. Flag:

Ed Walsh noted the missing American flag on the flagpole. Mrs. Roux said the flag was extremely damaged and due to its condition was removed and sent to the town flag company for proper disposal. A new flag is being sent to the town.


D. Road Committee Email Addresses:

Mrs. Roux stated the Warrant and Finance Committee email addresses were created for legitimate reasons, they are elected officials that have frequent conversations. The Road Committee becoming active again prompted her to wonder if they also needed email addresses so they don’t need to use private emails for town business. Ed Walsh asked if the server had room for this and Mrs. Roux said yes. Ed Walsh directed Mrs. Roux to create email addresses for the two road commissioners, District 1 and District 2 and go from there. Approved by the Board. The next meeting of the Road Committee is Thursday, January 12 at 6:00 p.m.


E. Dam Safety:

Mrs. Roux said on December 23rd she received an email from the town administrative assistant in Newfield regarding the EAP (emergency action plan) for Balch Dam. The EAP has expired, asking if Acton will complete the EAP. A letter from the State of Maine to Newfield was emailed to Mrs. Roux, that was sent to the Newfield EMA director who has resigned and moved out of state. Newfield is requesting that Acton handle the EAP. Ed Walsh noted the last time it was done he personally had done it and noted that there will have to be some updates. Mrs. Roux will follow up with Mr. Catansye and the Town of Newfield to see what needs to be done.

6. PUBLIC COMMENT:

Dr. Williams inquired about the dam and what if it breaches, is there a siren or warning in case it fails. Ed Walsh said this time of year is not a problem because it is part of Balch Lake that is drained down. Also, Ed does not believe there is a large amount of water behind it. Ed Walsh said the EAP outlines the actions, including a phone tree to warn people down from it, the dam was rebuilt not that many years ago.


7. ANNOUNCEMENTS:


A. Road Committee Meeting:

Thursday, January 12 at 6:00 p.m.


B. Souper Sledding Event:

On Super Bowl Sunday, February 5th from 10:00 a.m. to noon at the Holdsworth Field by the foot of the lake on Rt.109. Music, goodies, snow sculpting. Donate a can of soup to the Acton Food Pantry. Sponsored by Acton In Motion.


C. OTHER:

Mrs. Roux said that at the tree lighting in December at town hall Santa took pictures of kids with him. She has maybe 12 photos that she is unable to identify and asking people to stop by the town hall and see if they can identify the children so the photos get to them.


Mrs. Roux suggested that the Board might consider getting a small snow blower for next year’s budget. Elise Miller said how good a job Jonathan Morse had done with shoveling the snow by hand and as Mrs. Roux noted a snow blower might be good to have, as the last storm he shoveled more than just the walkways, it took him 4 hours.


Mrs. Roux also suggested the town include in the budget purchase of a scanner for microchip for the animal control officer.


8. MEMBERS PRESENT: Ed Walsh, Elise Miller


9. OTHERS PRESENT: Rollin Waterhouse, William Williams, Eric Dawalga, Jennifer Roux