Upcoming Agenda



May 30, 2017

1. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Moved by Bill Shields, seconded by Elise Miller, to accept the agenda as presented. The motion passed 3-0.


2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Moved by Bill Shields, seconded by Elise Miller, to approve the Minutes of the Meeting of May 23, 2017 as written. The motion passed 3-0.


A. Tax Collector: Jennifer Roux explained to the Board that the tax reminder that was recently sent out only reported the October balances but not the April balances. She noted that follow-up letters will be sent to any property owners that were affected by this error prior to tax liens being levied.


  1. MMA Action Plan: Mrs. Roux reported that money in the Assistant Account is available to hire someone to start working on the action items on the Plan.

  1. Dog Warrant: Jennifer Roux reported that the list has been reduced to only one outstanding dog license; the summons will be issued.

  1. Public Information Policy: Mrs. Roux noted that several of the existing policies have not been reviewed and updated for many years, so she suggested that this item be tabled until the new Board of Selectmen is formed and then systematically address all of the policies.

D. Mary Grant Usage Agreement Form: Ed Walsh expressed the opinion that because a fire pit is on site, the Policy should address responsibility for acquiring a burn permit, instead of the Mary Grant Committee holding a seasonal permit. He went on to state that he felt, whomever uses the site for an event should apply for a permit as part of the property use requirements. Mrs. Roux will discuss this with the Board members.


  1. Surplus Vehicle Bids: The Chairman opened the four bids that were submitted for purchase of the Forestry One vehicle:

  • Bean Farm – Randy Kinville bid $3200;

  • Rob Dobson bid $308;

  • Adam Doliver bid $2550;

  • Crawford Logging and Firewood bid $3009

Moved by Elise Miller, seconded by Bill Shields, to accept Randy Kinville’s bid of $3200. The motion passed 3-0.

  1. Memorial Day Flags: Elise Miller thanks Hannah Phillips for placing 177 flags at 37 different cemeteries throughout Acton. She noted that it took Mrs. Phillips two days to accomplish the task.

  1. Clean up Discussion: Mrs. Roux stated that there have been complaints regarding the concern of the appearance of various properties in town. Elise Miller noted that Code Enforcement can only enforce the appearance of properties to a degree and that the Ordinance defines junk yards in detail. The current shoreland violations, including the two that are currently being heard in court, in addition to the everyday enforcement and permitting, take a lot of his time so he could not handle addressing this issue under the current circumstances. Mrs. Miller suggested holding a public hearing to discuss the definition of eyesores, how to enforce cleanup and how the Ordinance should address the issue.

The Chairman stated that while he agrees that this is a problem, he is not interested in dictating what property owners can do with their properties.

The subject was tabled until the first meeting of the new Board.

  1. Demolition Permits: Mrs. Roux reminded the Board that a policy exists regarding issuing Demolition Permits. Initially, the Policy was written to ensure that materials taken to the Transfer Station were generated from permitted activities. However, the Permit has evolved to include anything beyond the normal household trash. This has become time consuming and aggravating to residents.

Ed Walsh, as Code Enforcement liaison, will discuss the problem with Ken Paul to determine a solution.

Elise Miller reminded residents to please recycle glass, plastic, cans, cardboard, and paper. Ed Walsh suggested the Town should consider offering Recycling Bins.

  1. Annual Spending Caps: Mrs. Roux explained that typically a spending cap is issued as of June 1st in an effort to discourage purchasing items just to use the budget. Mrs. Roux will draft a memo to be reviewed by the Board and distributed to Department heads.

6. PUBLIC COMMENT: No comments were offered


  • There will be no Board of Selectmen’s Meeting on June 13th because of elections

  • The Annual Town Meeting will be held on June 17th beginning at 9:00 a.m. at the School. The Town Hall will be closed;

  • Absentee Ballots are available at the Town Clerk’s office during regular business hours.

  • The Library will hold its annual Book, Bake and Plant Sale on Saturday, June 10th 9:00 – 12:00 noon. Donations will be gladly accepted at the Library

8. MEMBERS PRESENT: Ed Walsh, Bill Shields, Elise Miller

9. OTHERS PRESENT: Jennifer Roux, Paul Poyant, Robin Ham